Sample #1 | #2 | #3
Models: 2005-2007 Chevrolet Equinox, 2006-2007 Pontiac Torrent
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described below.
The sunroof will only go to the vent position or only slide open. This concern can happen if the sunroof control module and sunroof motor are not timed correctly.
To time the sunroof motor and control module, follow the instructions below.
1. Using the vehicle switches, move the sunroof glass panel as near to the closed position as possible.
2. Without removing any wiring connections, unbolt the motor from the sunroof beam. Note: Once the motor is removed, the sunroof mechanism will be free to move.
3. Remove the glass and manually push the right and left drive cable plate until the closed position is reached (Closed position = 46mm between rear of locator and front of drive cable plate). See attached picture.
4. With the sunroof electronics still connected the sunroof wire harness, but disconnected from the sunroof beam, press and hold the closed button until the motor stops.
5. Release and again press the close button and verify that the motor and electronics think that the sunroof is in the closed position.
6. Bolt the retimed motor / electronics into the mechanically retimed sunroof.
Verify correct sunroof operation.
Note: It is very important to understand the sunroof switch operation. If the sunroof module and motor were not timed correctly, the sunroof switch may operate the glass differently then it was designed to. This switch will slide forward and rearward, and this switch can also be pulled down or pushed up. Below is the instruction on how the sunroof switch operates.
To express-open the sunroof glass panel and sunshade, press/slide the switch rearward and release it. To stop the sunroof before it is completely open, press/slide the switch rearward again. To close the sunroof, press/slide forward and hold the switch until the sunroof stops, lifts and seals at the back of the sunroof glass. Press/slide forward on the switch again to make sure the sunroof is fully closed.
To put the sunroof in the vent position, pull down on the front of the switch. Push up on the front of the switch to close it.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Emergency unlocking of the luggage compartment lid when battery is dead
Models: 2002-2004 Porsche Boxster,
If the battery is dead, the luggage compartment lid can be opened with the aid of a donor battery. Since the battery is located in the compartment, the only way to get to it is by opening the lid. Use the following procedure.
1. Use the key to unlock the vehicle at the door lock. Leave the key in the door lock.
2. Remove the plastic cover over the fuse box (located in left kick panel). See illustration.
3. Pull out positive terminal (A in illustration) in the fuse box.
4. Use a jumper cable to connect the positive terminal of the donor battery to positive terminal A in the fuse box.
5. NOTE: if the vehicle was locked, the alarm horn will sound when the negative cable is connected.
6. Use the second jumper cable to connect the terminal of the donor battery to the door latch striker (B in illustration).
7. Switch the alarm system off by locking and unlocking at the door lock.
8. Unlock the luggage compartment lid with the switch.
9. Disconnect the negative cable first, then the positive cable.
10. Push the positive terminal (A in illustration) into the fuse box and replace the fuse box cover.
11. NOTE: The engine cannot be jump started with this method. Open the compartment lid first and then jump start vehicle as recommended by manufacturer.
Windows Mysteriously Go Down By Themselves
Vehicle: 1998 Volkswagen Passat GLS
If you run into a Volkswagen Passat with power windows that go down by themselves, look for chafed wires inside the door panel or inside the flex tube going from the door to the body. The wires may touch at any time and the window controller will activate, raising or lowering the windows.